childbearing

So right now, someone is having a baby, like someone I actually know.  And one of the ladies that I eat lunch with is like 5 months pregnant...so I hear about pregnancy a lot.  Whether I want to or not.  Yes, I am a woman, but I do not want kids.  This, apparently, is a rarity; I only know a few women that don't want kids.

Let me just set the record straight:  I love other people's kids, I love teaching them and caring for them (and I'm great at it), but at the end of the day, I like coming home to a childless house.  It just seems right; I'm teaching and taking care of other people's kids all day, why would I wanna come home and have to teach and take care of more kids (even if they are mine), it just seems a bit excessive.

I think part of this disposition comes from having to be a "little mama" when I was a child.  I now (I used to have 3) have 2 brothers (7 years younger and 15 years younger), and have 2 stepsisters (6 years younger and 8 years younger) that I've had for like 6 years.  When I was just old enough to do so, I had to babysit all the time.  I fed them, disciplined them, dressed them, I did a lot for them and I would've done anything for them.  My parents were hard working people, my dad still is, so that meant that I had a lot of parentalesque duties so that they could provide for the family.  I thought that maybe I was bitter about this, but, nah, I have just had my fair-share of parenting.  It's not really that fun and their's no pressing need for me to raise any kids.

Also, giving birth hurts, I don't have to have done so to know that.  I mean passing a human through a vagina, just doesn't seem like my idea of a good idea, even if you do get a baby out of it.  Because after you give birth, then you have a baby that needs everything in the world and depends heavily on you to the point where it pretty much becomes your life to sustain this little needy human.  Then it's a child that you have to teach right from wrong and how to other stuff that's necessary to survival.  This it's a teenager that you have to convince you're right everyday all while teaching them how to become an adult.  Then they're an adult and you still have to teach them to become an adult, but they just leave you after all that work you've put into them, they leave.  But they're still there, they're always there.  That's a really long time to be responsible for someone!

I truly respect women who give birth, because you could not pay me to do so.  It's a surprise to me that women have more than one child because there's only one part of the whole process that seems remotely fun.  But I just don't think motherhood is for me.  Perhaps, someday, God will change my heart, but I hope He doesn't, or at least doesn't make me give birth or even adopt.

Kids are great and stuff, I'm not denying that, but I just have no desire to have my very own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM