Kindergarten Lesson

I often think about what kind of teacher I want to be/become.  This makes me think about my Kindergarten teacher, Ms. Hunter.

Before the school year actually started, Kindergarteners had a half day to help them understand what is expected of them and what to expect from school.  My mom walked me into the classroom and we were greeted at the door by Ms. Hunter.  She was wearing a turquoise jumpsuit with little zebras on it.  The moment I laid eyes on her in that jumpsuit, I fell in love.  I thought "This is the coolest lady ever!"  On the half day we went searching for a teddy bear (he had a name, I just don't remember it); we looked for him in the media center, hall, bathrooms, other places.  Each place we stopped to look, she explained to us how to behave in that environment.  In the media center (library) we walk quietly in a single file line and we only speak in quiet voices when we need to.  In the halls, we walk quietly in a single file line, and stay quiet to respect other classes around us.  Etcetera.  Then we come to the cafeteria, and low and behold the teddy is there!  He's waiting to show us how to navigate the cafeteria.  We were all so excited for finally find him, although I had forgotten that we were looking because I was so enchanted by the school.  I went home that day and was super stoked!  And my first real day was even better; when my mom picked me up (from after school)  I announced to her that I love school and that it is the best thing ever!

Ms. Hunter was the kind of teacher that made each student feel like you were her favorite and anytime you did something well she would make you feel like you won the Nobel Prize for Kindergarten.  She was the reason I fell in love with school at such a young age.  She was awesome.  There are other teachers that were very inspiring and are partially responsible for my love of school, teaching, and learning.  My dad's mom was a teacher and when she died students from YEARS back came to her funeral and said a lot of the same stuff that I said about Ms. Hunter.

The point is, I don't necessarily want to be someone's favorite teacher, but I do want to make a lasting, positive impression on my students and coworkers.  What kids think of me greatly effects what they think of music making.  If I'm terrible to them, they'll attach negative feelings to music making.  I don't want that and neither do the kids.

I expect greatness out of my kids, but I believe greatness is contingent on the child.  I know a portion of children will not continue in band when they reach high school, and another portion will never pick up an instrument after they graduate from high school.  I am okay with that (kinda), but I want them to experience the full gamut before they leave.  I want them to have a good, productive time while still a part of it.

I guess all I'm saying is:  I want to be a teacher that inspires, that does more than just teach the material.  I want to spark (if it hasn't already) a respect for music, and not just the pop music on the radio.  I want them to be well rounded musicians who appreciate more than just what-everyone-is-listening-to, but who appreciate and seek out music that challenges their mind, heart, soul, and even body.  I wanna be that teacher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina