What not to wear

So right now I'm watching What Not to Wear, which is a TLC series that gives people a fashion makeover; they get $5000 to spend on a new wardrobe to replace their bad/inappropriate/mal-sized/outdated/wrong one as well as new hair (cut, color, whatever), and make-up.  I like this show because I learn about fashion, the host's are funny, and it's neat to see the inner transformation that the people go through simply because they've changed(improved) their outer appearance.

I want to have a style, but I do not feel that I have a concrete look other than 'bland-teachery'.  I feel like I look pretty good when it comes to my teacher wardrobe, I look put together and practical.  But when it comes to my outside-the-classroom style, that's where I think I need help.  (NOTE:  THIS IS NOT ME ASKING TO BE NOMINATED FOR THE SHOW.)  I see so many people that have great style, a style they own that works for them (their lifestyle and body type).  I want that!

I think part of my problem is that I'm not detail-oriented for really anything but teaching.  I don't accesorize   or wear make-up except for the occasional mascara and occasional-occasional 'full face treatment'.  When I was young, I used to watch in amazement as my momma would apply make-up; I mean she would do the full gamut: concealer, foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, and perfume! WHEW!  I, of course, wanted to be like my mom, so I used to beg her and my daddy to let me wear make-up all the way through middle school.  But now that I'm an adult, I don't know that I could ever do all that each day, it just takes so much time, students don't really pay that much attention, and my future husband will be seeing a lot of me without make-up.

Aside from my lack of attention to detail, I'm also scared about what others would say if I just started dressing differently.  I don't want them to think 'I'm trying', like I'm trying to look cool or like someone else.  The truth is, I wear the clothes I have because they are there, convenient.  Not necessarily because I like them.  I wear mostly t-shirts and jeans.

I have decided that starting now I will change my outward appearance.  I won't do it all at once, but I'll do it nonetheless.  I think I'll start with my face, hair, and shirt choices; I'll be more diligent with my make-up 'regimen' (or simply develop one), try different hair styles and even , and try really hard not to wear t-shirts (I think this'll be the hardest right now because I don't have that many regular shirts).  I already see and know what I like and have somewhat of a vision of what I wanna do and wear.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go all crazy and become unrecognizable, or become a diva; I'm simply going to make amends to the way I take care of myself.  I do believe that the way a person presents their self greatly effects the way they feel about themselves on the inside.  I feel bland and undefined, but expressing who I am not just in personality, but in physical appearance will help me feel like a holistic person.  I think it'll help me feel more like an adult.

I'm a little nervous, but I figure I'm 23 (YIKES!) and I should look like I know who I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM