My first day as interim band director

Hi!  So I'm home from my first day as the sub band director at the school I student taught at last semester, and boy was that interesting.  It all started last night:  I watched House, a show about a team of diagnostic doctors,  and the end of the episode freaked me out (subconsiously, conciously I just thought "oh what a twist!").  Even though I went to bed on time (a little before 11pm) and even fell asleep shortly after 11pm, I awoke feeling groggy because I had nightmares ALL night that were loosely about the patient in House AND I woke up around 2:30am in a confused panic and with stomach pain.  I took some meds and went back to bed, but not without the creeps.

When I got to school I set up my 'teaching station' and prepared my self to teach my first period class, Jazz Band.  I really like jazz and I felt quite prepared, but my kids (all but 3 are boys) were just too much to handle for me first thing in the morning.  I had to explain to them that 1) I'm not a morning person and was feeling a little ill, 2) I'm not used to waking up this early yet and 3) I find it quite rude when they erupt in chatter EVERY time I cut them off.  For the most part, that class was fine.  Then came my 6th grade brass (and percussion) class, which is mostly boys; no matter what, they are a handful.  I had forgotten how loud they are, imagine 30+ beginner trumpets and trombones blasting at your face at 8:40 in the morning for 40 minutes.  Fun times.  Next came my sweet, mostly girl, 6th grade woodwind class; they were super nice and are easier on the ears because their flutes, clarinets, and saxes aren't blasting at my face...except the clarinets sounded like angry bees because they were blowing too hard, I nipped that in the bud.

One thing that I love about this job is that I get a 2 hour planning, from 10-12!  I got to look through the filing cabinets and pick out music for some of my classes to play.  I also ate lunch with fellow teachers, they're a fun, eclectic bunch.

Back to educating!  The rest of my day starts with 7th grade brass and percussion (mostly boys); now they have slightly more self control than my 6th grade boys, but don't push it.  I told one of my percussionist that she was playing too loud (which she ALWAYS does, my ear literally popped yesterday when I was playing snare drum next to her yesterday), and she threw a little fit, but that's nothing out of the ordinary and she knows I'll make her play pianisimo (really quiet) all day every day and not consider her feelings, so she can deal.  My 7th grade woodwind class (mostly girls) comes next and they're just a breath of fresh air.  So pleasant and they're, for the most part, good, careful players.  Also, their instruments aren't as harsh (flute, clarinet, sax) and they're a smallish class.  And then there are my 'super cool' 8th graders...they really are kinda cool, if I were in 8th grade, I'd wanna hang with them.  This is a combined class, meaning woodwinds, brass, and percussion are in the same class.  There are a little over 30 students (which is pretty small for band) all with such different personalities!  This class can be a little overwhelming at times because I've been talking and singing all day and by that time my voice is a little tired.  The boys voices are starting to change, as well, so it's harder for me to speak over deeper voices (they're quite proud of their changing voices).  Here's probably the most bizarre part of the day: a flute player, one that's super chill and causes no problems, just walked out of class with the hall pass without saying anything to me at the beginning of the class ( that's not allowed)!  I called the front office and told them, and they sent someone down.  She reappeared several minutes later, and when I asked her where she went she responded something about her locker and her bookbag; I told her that it was not acceptable to just leave class without my permission and to go sit down and get her stuff out.  She rolled her eyes and did what she was told.  That's so uncharacteristic of her.  I was so stunned.  A few minutes later, an assistant principle came and asked me what the deal was, I told him, he talked to her and put her in ISS (In School Suspension, aka detention).  But I must say that I'm pretty proud of myself for not letting on to the class that something shaddy was going down.  Finally, my last class: colorguard.  I am completely unqualified to teach this class!  I've tried my hand at it on some occasions and I'm just no good.  I don't feel comfortable spinning that giant flag (at least 5'6") around and especially don't feel comfortable tossing it and then catching it.  So so hard!  Praise God, I don't actually teach much in the class; the high school colorguard and winterguard instructor comes and pretty much does everything, AND SHE'S AMAZING!  While she's teaching, I'm either standing there looking useless and dumb or trying to learn the stuff looking useless and dumb.  I'm so grateful that she does this for free out the goodness of her heart, most of the girls (who are all in 8th grade) are really into it and the rest are just happy to be with their friends and are compliant.  The best part of that class for me is getting be outside for 35ish minutes!  That's a decent compensation for looking like a fool in front of all these teeny-boppers.

My day is pretty packed and intense, but I really enjoy it and feel that I'm good at it (except guard).  I am so proud of my students because most of them try hard and really want to be good.  I love my job!





Oh yea, and I dropped the sharp part of a music stand on my feet during 7th grade woodwind, it made me wanna cuss and cry at the same time.  That junk hurt and it still hurts when I walk.  Super.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM