Charlotte vs. Greensboro

Tomorrow I make the move, once again (hopefully for the last time), to Greensboro from Charlotte.  I will be the substitute for the band program I student taught for last semester; the band director will be going on maternity leave and so I'll be taking over for the end of the school year.  I'm really excited about this job, it's such a great opportunity!

But I have some mixed feelings about making the move.  I like Greensboro, and it's been my home for the past 4.5 years, but I really like Charlotte.  Charlotte is where I grew up, but I grew up in a different way in Greensboro.  The truth is, there are things about either city that I really like.

Greensboro has lots of beautiful parks including UNCG (my Alma Mater), which was built on a park.  There's always "cultural-hip" things going on with music, art, dance, festivals at some park, downtown, college/university, or Greensboro Coliseum.  The collection of people is never ending, college students, families, refugees, anyone and everyone is just mixed together nicely!  There are more things I like about Greensboro, but most of all I have a life there.  After 4.5 years I know my way around pretty well (it's 1/3 the size of Charlotte) and most of all I have a community there.  I still have friends there and a church there.  I have community there.  I have friends that I miss in Greensboro and the rest of the Triad (Winston Salem and High Point) so I'll be happy to return for that reason.

But then there's Charlotte, my more permanent home.  While I don't see the "culture-hip" side of Charlotte as easily, I know that it's there and certainly developing.  Charlotte has great parks, but I think I like Greensboro's better.  Really Charlotte is such a super city, and I absolutely love my community here, but there are things I like better about Greensboro.

It'd be excellent to combine everything that I love about both cities!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM