well look what I've become

Have you ever met one of those vegetarians who are super finicky.  You know the kind who: ask/read what's in everything they eat, won't even use the same sponge or utensils that have made contact with meat, won't let you drink from their cup/straw or put your mouth on their food because they don't want your meaty mouth to touch their stuff, gets queasy when they smell cooking meat or hear of animals being killed, or who have you try their food because they can't remember how meat tastes and they suspect their food to be contaminated with it.  You know who I'm talking about?...If you know me, then you know someone like that.

I started my official 'journey to vegetarianism' (sounds super lame) in eighth grade, shortly after I had become a Christian.  Initially, I still ate chicken and fish and would still crave burgers and stuff.  But throughout the years I have become more informed and more committed, and 10 years later, I am a full vegetarian (pescatarian=someone who eats fish, eggs, dairy, and veggies).

Really, I'm quite used to this lifestyle and I think it suites me, but it's always funny when people make a big deal out of it.  Sometimes it's kinda sweet, like when a bunch of us are trying to figure out where to eat and they make it a point to ask me where I'll be able to eat.  But it's not sweet when people act offended that I won't eat something that has meat/non-dairy animal product (i.e. lard or gelatin) in it.

I think I was born to be a vegetarian.   When I was a child, I would take forever to eat meat.  It would just sit in my mouth for what seemed like hours.  I always felt like it was a great inconvenience to have to eat meat.  It takes so long to digest and it doesn't really give you that much energy.  No thank you!

Becoming vegetarian has made me more conscious about what I'm putting in my body.  I want to be a good steward of this body I've been give and this is how I'm doing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM