Miss

So today I had a brief impromptu lesson on why I am a Miss and not a Missus, and when it's appropriate to call woman Miss or Missus.  The kids 1)didn't know what to call me (Miss or Missus) and 2)were puzzled as to why I do not have a Mister (they were actually quite concerned).  This reminded me of something that happened Friday; yearbook distribution party was this past Friday and the chorus teacher and I were in charge of the music (of course).

So there I was, sitting there being bored and signing the occasional  yearbook when one of my students (6th grade boy) walked up to me and addressed me as Mr. Henderson.  I corrected him and politely explained that I am a woman therefore I am a Miss.  He said 'oh' and finished whatever he was talking about.  He then returned shortly (I couldn't get rid of him) and called me Mr. Henderson again.  I corrected him and repeated myself about why I am a Miss and not a Mister.  I decided to make sure he really got it; I pointed to the chorus teacher (another Miss) and asked what she was, a Miss or a Mister, he hesitantly responded with mister.  I said that if I am a woman and a Miss and the chorus teacher is a woman, what would that make her?  "A Mister?"  Seriously kid?  I figured maybe he didn't know that these titles coincided with genders, so I said women are Misses and men are Misters. (I didn't want to confuse him with Missuses, that would have blown his mind.)  He left and came back again, this time he still called me Mr. Henderson.  I corrected him and reviewed.  At this point there is a male teacher within arms reach of me, so I ask the student what this teacher is.  "A Miss?"  "If I am a woman and a Miss and he is a man, what does that make him?"  "A Mister, NO a Miss!"  I reminded him of the gender-title rule, and had him try again.

This ridiculousness went on for too long, and I don't actually remember if he ever was successful.  I worry about that kid.

Comments

  1. Is this the same kid that doesn't know his middle name or where he lives? If so, I'm super worried about that kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if he knows his middle name, but I'm fairly certain he doesn't know his address. I even have eighth graders who don't their address.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM