In regards to Osama bin Laden's death

Last night President Obama spoke to the USA telling, I guess, of bin Laden's death.  I didn't watch/listen, I was in bed, but I did hear the reporters share that info beforehand.  I, surprisingly, don't know how I feel about his death.  There are some that're rejoicing, there are some that feel justified, and there are my students who are taking their cues from the adults and others around them.  This morning, some of my students asked me how I felt about his death, I didn't answer.  I had/have no answer.  I've never felt threatened by him and just under ten years ago, I still didn't feel threatened by his orchestrated attack on the World Trade Center.

Initially, when I heard the news I felt shocked, in the same way I feel when anyone dies unexpectantly.  Then I felt disbelief, 'how do we know this isn't a fraud?'  Then I wondered what that would look like for those more directly effected by his life.  Then I asked myself, 'how do you feel about this?'  I don't know.

I can certainly understand why people are happy, I mean he was a terrible man; but all I keep thinking is that we're all that terrible, that evil.  Sure, we're not all terrorists, but we're all sinners.  In the eye's of God, sin is sin, whether terrorizing nations or lying about eating the last cookie.  The only difference between me and bin Laden is that I have been forgiven and redeemed.  To me, that's sobering.

I don't think I'm happy that he's been killed, but I'm not supposed to be.  This morning, on my way to work, I was listening to the radio.  The station I was listening to pointed out two verses, one in Psalms and the other in Ecclesiastes, both saying that we're not to rejoice when our enemies die.  I'd say bin Laden was an enemy, not just to the US, but to many other nations.  Yes, it's super that he's no longer a threat to anyone, but (and maybe I'm crazy) he's in hell right now, and that's not a pleasant place.  Just imagine what he could have done for the actual Living God; someone with that much intelligence, ambition, and influence could accomplish great things for the Lord.  But, instead, he terrorized people.

Honestly, I have no conclusion.  And I haven't arrived at a decision on how I feel about all this.  All these thoughts keep running through my head.  I feel numb.  I'll continue living my life the same way I have been.  But to those who felt unsafe, endangered, by his time here on earth, I'm glad you can finally rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina