God's Impeccable Timing

"His timing is always perfect, though it seldom seems so to me, for my temperament longs for previews of coming attractions."  Elisabeth Elliot in Discipline: The Glad Surrender

In said book, I read the chapter on "The Discipline of Time" right in the midst of being uber broke and living from generosity to generosity.  The above quote perfectly describes me: I always wanna know 'when' and 'if'.  A little before this quote she pointed out that "It is wonderfully stabalizing and quieting to recall some of the ways in which God's timing is seen in the great Bible stories. Events the world would dismiss as mere coincedence turn out to have been syncronized with utmost precision by the Ruler of time."  She procedes to expose instances of perfect timing throughout the Bible, it's no coincedence: that Ruth went to glean in Boaz's (her kinsman-redeemer) field, or that David arrived as Goliath was challenging the troops, or that Philip was transported to a road where an Ethiopian eunich was searching for answers.  As I read these different instances, different times came to mind that could only be explained my His timing.  All the times I've had no money for the next day and food/money/encouragement were provided just when I was turning to hopelessness/desperation, when I had been praying fervently for a change and found out my prayers have been answered just when I felt unheard and neglected.  So many times in my life have I been worried about God's timing, thinking He's getting everything wrong and messing up my well baked plan, but have later learned that His plan is infinitely better baked than mine.  His plan has herbs, spices, and the best ingredients that are perfectly mixed, baked, cooked, and, most importantly, served right at the exact instant necessary. My plans are burnt, moldy toast compared to His.  Learning to trust in His timing is a challenge for me, I grow frustrated and can become listless in protest of His timing, but I want to be better at being patient with Him.  I mean, I screw up on a pretty frequent basis and He is still slow to anger.

When I was all panicky about money and such, He constantly reminded me of all the times He's provided well for me and others around me.  Then I would think, "I know, but when?"  So silly of me.  It's a waste of my time to worry knowing that He has and will always provide for every need I have...and I know that as I'm worrying.  So so silly.  I'm glad His love is unconditional, because my attitude isn't.

Comments

  1. Another just-so-you-know moment...One of those times in my life where something seemingly small turned out to be divinely ordered by the Baker of Plans: You, Colea Henderson, said to me one night after I'd been complaining about the Australia study abroad problems that I should "JUST LOOK" at the Summer Project website. I looked, I applied, Swine Flu hit, I changed, I went to Chile, and now I'm living in Chile as a missionary and can't imagine a more wonderful plan for my life. =) Thanks for being used of God. Any time I tell my story here, you come up. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina