disappointment in truth

Well, as you've likely noticed, we're all still here...no rapture.  Harold Camping, and his followers, were eagerly awaiting the return of Christ yesterday.  He, Camping, had believed he had calculated the exact day and time of the return of Christ.  But, alas, tis the day after and there is a great deal of disappointment coming from Camping's followers; Camping, in fact, is missing.  I was certain that Jesus wasn't going to return yesterday because I believe the Bible when it says that none shall know the hour of His return.  But I empathize with their disappointment and their dejection.

We are created to feel homesick, our home being Heaven with the Father.  So that sense of longing they have for the return of the Messiah is more than okay, it's to be expected from any and all believers.  Unfortunately, they took it a step further and tried to predict and possibly expedite His return.  I know what it feels like to be down to the moment of truth only to be disappointed by the lack of arrival of God (literally or figuratively).  When I was raising support to STINT in Argentina, I was working up until days before I was supposed to leave, but God didn't (figuratively) show up.  I'm still in the USA with no prospects of ever going to Argentina, or anywhere else.  They, Camping and his followers, believed down to the hour that Jesus was returning yesterday at 6pm.  They are still here.  We both wanted and believed these deep desires and life-long dreams so badly we told everyone in happy exhilaration and anticipation.  "Finally", "at last" we thought!   But nope, nothing but egg on our faces.

I know how badly they're hurting, how foolish they're feeling, how disillusioned they are, how confused they feel.  We've both been disappointed in the truth of things not happening.  So while the rest of society mocks their lie of a prophesy, they retreat with their tail between their legs while picking up the shards of the life they must continue to spend here on Earth, their home away from Home.  There are those who had no stock in the future, no job, no home, no monetary security; they believed to their very core that yesterday was the day.  I know how they feel.

My heart truly goes out to those disappointed in His not returning.  I am in tears for you and want you to know that it's okay to miss Him, to long for His return with every ounce of your being...I do as well.  I want you to pick yourself up and move forward.  Life goes on, and this season of disappointment can have one of two results: 1)losing hope and faith in the Lord because He didn't show up when thought to be appropriate or 2) trusting in the Lord to use you to your utmost for Him while still here on Earth and choosing not to feel trapped.  The decision is yours, but remember that just because He didn't return when you had anticipated doesn't mean He won't ever, so continue to live life as someone who firmly believes in His future return.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina