11 trends I wish I could pull off

Growing up, I wasn't too trendy.  I wasn't allowed to be!  Both my parents, especially my mom, grew up in pretty Conservative Christian homes.  Dad: Pentecostal Baptist (yes, they exist); Mom: Pentecostal Holiness.  There were a lot of things I wasn't allowed to experience: secular music, gel pens, name brand clothing, A LOT OF TV SHOWS, etc.  Although there were times when I really wanted something 'all the other kids had' (OH!  But the day I got a TrapperKeeper?  Couldn't touch me!), I was typically pretty content with what I had.

Now, I'm an adult and I choose what I wear, listen to, consume.  It took me a long time to actually care about how I dressed, because I was out of control of that for so long (my parents controlled that and were resistant to a lot of the fads).  Here's a list of trends/fashions I'd like to be able to wear all the time without feeling like I look like I'm "trying".  Any suggestions on how to pull them off boldly?

1) Red lipstick/stain. Let's face it, I have extraordinary lips (just trust me) that I really like to make look awesome.  You know what's on the caliber of my lips?  Red lipstick/stain.  I've found a lipstain that works very well (click here), and I use it for special occasions or church (not that church isn't special)...but I want to use it all the time.  I feel so empowered and pretty when I wear it.  I wanna just go for it, but I'm too chicken.

2) Heavy eyeliner. Another great thing about my face are my eyes.  There are some people, usually women, who can wear tons of eyeliner and look so frickin' classy.  When I try to put on that amount I feel like my eyes look tiny and angry, and like there may have been some drugs involved.  Literally like 30 minutes ago, I, for the first time, put eyeliner on the inner part of my lids.  But I'm so scared of looking like a teenage girl who was never taught moderation or a hooker.  I am neither, so how do I make it work?

3) Nose ring. You guessed it, I have a lovely nose.  I might be proudest of my nose in terms of my face.  I'd like to adorn it with a nose ring.  Honestly, the only thing that's stopping me is my job at this frozen yogurt joint I work at part time.  We're not allowed to have facial piercings.  Lame.

4) Wedges.  I have a couple pairs and I really dig them and enjoy when I get to wear them.  My jobs, teaching/nannying/yogurt slinging, will not allow me to wear them.  Either for practicality reasons or for dress code restrictions (

5) Short dresses/skirts.  Now, look, I have a lot of leg.  My legs make up approximately 80% of my body height; and they're not just lean twigs, they are sturdy, thick if you will.  So when I see these girls, and guys, wearing these disgustingly adorable and appropriate dresses/skirts, I die a little inside because I feel that'll never be me.  When dresses/skirts come above my knees when I sit down I'm convinced I've flashed everyone and will soon be ostracized.

6) Jewelry.  This is only partially true.  I'm not a detail person, so just dressing myself is a feat (ask my roommates); I initially had to force myself to put on make-up because there are so many things to consider and I just didn't want to consider them.  There are times when I feel jewelry is essential to an outfit I'm wearing...but I only have earrings.  Well, that's not true, I have some other stuff in a box...on the other side of the house.  People have such excellent jewelry and I see it all the time, all over the place but I know I would have to wear it every day otherwise I will never wear it again.

7) Those flowy palazzo pants.  I actually do think I could wear those quite nicely, I just have never tried on a pair and haven't any money.  Also, they look uber comfy. Like these.

8) High waisted bottoms.  My afore mentioned amazon legs take up most of my body, leaving me with a tiny, short torso.  I'm fond of my small torso, but high waist things (pants, 2-piece swimsuit bottoms, skirts, etc) make me look like I'm completely made out of limbs.  This is what I look like> o{========

9) Rompers.  I used to be against them for no reason, then I woke up one day and really wanted to wear'em.  The problem is they're often too short for my taste, my super-human legs won't allow such scant coverings.

10) Belt-Bags (formerly known as Fanny-Packs). I, literally, think they are one of the best inventions ever.  I don't like carrying bags, but I still have stuff I need to carry...why not just attach it to your person and move on with your life?  What do people have against belt-bags?!  It's disheartening, I have 2 super cute ones (one from Chile), but I'm scared of the looks I'll get.  Kurt Hummel can do it, isn't that permission enough for everyone else? I literally have this one...so proud

11) Those large spectacles frames.  I actually do wear glasses and I do actually need to go to the eye doctor (it's been a minute), so I have great justification for going.  Functionally, they're superb.  The bigger the lens, the less one has to move their head/eyes to see all around them.  When I have money, I just need to suck it up and go.

Well, folks, that's it.  If you have any ideas/advice on how to be more trendy let me know.

P.S. This post is my favorite of all the lists thus far.  And I thought you'd like to know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM