From a Vegetarian to a Vegetarian

I'm a vegetarian and I really like being one.  I'm considering becoming a different type of vegetarian and have been thinking about it for the past couple weeks.  It wouldn't be a huge change for me but it would be a change and would restrict my eating even more.  A couple days ago I was talking to a friend about my considering this change and she said "Oh, you're considering becoming a legit vegetarian."  There are many people who are in this camp with her, who believe that vegetarians who eat fish (pescetarians) aren't legitimate vegetarians.  This comment insulted me because 1) I'm in the camp who believes vegetarians who eat fish are every bit as vegetarians as vegans (people who eat no animal products like honey/milk/eggs) and 2) people who aren't vegetarian have a lot of misconceptions about vegetarianism, even when close with vegetarians, that often cause them to inadvertently insult vegetarians.  Anyway, I'm considering giving up fish/sea food and becoming a lacto-ovo vegetarian (does eat dairy and egg).  It wouldn't be that big of a leap for me since I already don't eat fish often (maybe a few times a month) anyways, but I actually do enjoy the taste of (most) fish unlike any other animals.  Growing up, I never had a problem eating fish like I did chicken/cow/pig/other animals; I would happily eat it without bracing myself or groaning   So now I'm really considering just not eating fish as well. I don't think I'll miss fish that badly, except when fish tacos are available.  So here's a list of reasons why giving up fish is a good idea.

1) Explanation. I won't have to explain why eating fish is acceptable.  People get surprisingly rude about it and I don't know why they're being so rude because they eat all animals and I'm not insulting them.

2) Cooking.  I just don't wanna touch raw fish and if I continue to eat it fish I will, eventually, have to learn to cook it raw (and not just pre-breaded and frozen and pop it in the toaster oven, which is the only way I cook it).  If I stop eating fish, I won't ever have to learn to cook it properly.

3) Disappointment.  All chain restaurants I've eaten at that serve fish have greatly disappointed me.  Bar-Grill places, like Chili's, take fish and then ruin it and then serve it to their customers.  Please stop.  If I stop eating fish, I won't have to worry about disappointment from poorly prepared fish.

4) Death.  I'm constantly fearful that someone I know and love will get sick and die because of under-cooked/improperly stored meat.  When I eat fish, I am fearful of the same thing.  I won't have to worry about death or sickness nearly as much, if at all, because I'm not eating fish.  That's the great part about veggies, they can never be under-cooked because you can eat them raw (also, they're freaking delicious)!

I was basically trying to convince myself to give up fish, but used blogging as an excuse.  I feel good about this decision, I'm think I'm gonna go through with it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina