My Top 3 Teacher Movies

I woke up on my Teacher Soapbox this morning.  I was in bed reading an article a fellow educator, and a former teacher of mine, posted on Facebook.  As I read this article, I felt understood.  I felt like I wasn't alone.  Then I had the audacity to watch a movie about children/school/teacher that makes me bawl the entire time.  So all that got me thinking about my favorite, inspirational, teacher movies.  Here they are.

1) Mr. Hollands Opus.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie.  It is the quintessential music class movie.  Holland goes from teaching music simply to pay the bills/support his family to becoming invested in his students lives.  He and his wife have a son who is deaf and their struggle to love and understand each other are is another storyline.  Love this movie.  Also, they've made it into a wonderful foundation.

2) Freedom Writers.  This is the movie I watched today and couldn't stop crying.  The lives of the students are heartbreaking...and TRUE.  The movie is based on a true story and tells of a new high school English teacher who gets the 'remedial' class, the class everyone didn't want.  The students were involved in gangs and were convinced that every other race would be better off dead.  The teacher helps the children see that they're not so different from each other and that school, specifically her classroom, was a safe place that could help them rise above their terrible circumstances.  Also, this has been made into a foundation.

3) Here Comes The BOOM!  This is a pretty recent movie and it's a comedy, but I cried so hard watching it.  It's about a high school science teacher who takes up MMA (mixed marshal arts) contest to win money for the music program which was being cut.  He went from being a halfhearted science teacher to being a once again passionate science teacher and an advocate and ally for the music program.  Wonderful movie, I would own it.


Teacher movies, love'em.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM