Submission is warfare

I can't think of a time when I was individually disciplined.  In school, deadlines and rubrics kept me on track, and I did quite well in school (with a few exceptions).  At home, there were rules/regulations and I followed them (with a few exceptions).  But if it ever came to simply me wanting something from/for myself, it's always been a challenge.  I'm not ambitious or competitive, and there are very few things in this world that I think truly matter.  One thing that does matter to me is my relationship with God.  I understand that my sin gets in the way of me being closer to God, but I love Him enough to want to fix that.  I want to be closer to God and I know that takes discipline on my part.

I want discipline of my mind, heart, and body, but ever since I realized that I wanted that, I've felt ill equipped to do so.  Recently a friend gave me the book Discipline: The Glad Surrender by Elisabeth Elliott.  When I got the book, I first thought what an unusual book to give to someone for a goodbye gift, but then I thought 'Great! I love Elisabeth Elliot, I'm sure I'll love this just as much as I love her other books.'  The truth is I've always approached self-discipline with the wrong perspective/method.  I've tried methods that put me in control, but that ain't right, God's to be in control.

Well lately I've been feeling kinda convicted about the lack of discipline in my life, but I've not known what to do to attain that.  As I read the aforementioned book,  I keep thinking 'well this is all fine and dandy but HOW?'  Finally, this Sunday I learned how!

Sunday was the marking of the new sermon series called Cosmic Conflict, and Pastor Jonathan started off talking about the basics of spiritual warfare.  You may be thinking that spiritual warfare has little to do with self-discipline...but you're wrong.  Satan tempts and oppresses us, and when we try to do what's right, he works harder, pulls out his flashiest tricks and his truth wrapped lies.  Really, we have no defense against him, except by relying on God.

This Sunday, I learned that submission to God is our best weapon in warfare.  When I'm feeling tempted, instead of telling the devil off, I should submit what I'm being tempted with to God.  I often, to remind myself of humility, say why I am being tempted.  For example:  if I'm struggling with feelings of loneliness, I would pray/think something like this:  "Father, I submit to You this feeling of loneliness.  I know that I am never alone, because You are faithful.  I feel lonely because I have chosen to not feel satisfied by You.  I only need you, please help me to seek full satisfaction in you."  That's a lot different than telling off or rebuking the devil, it puts the focus on God rather than satan.  The Bible says to "Submit yourselves therefore to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7  Our sin-susceptible-selves are not strong or wise enough to resist the schemes of the devil, but when we bring God in the picture, the devil must flee.  God is big and cuddly, but He doesn't let anyone mess with His children.

It's not always easy for me,  I want what I want when I want it, but I know that ultimately what God wants is the end-all-be-all.  Before, I had no hope of ever breaking these strongholds,  I felt overwhelmed and disabled.  I didn't know what tools it took to develop discipline in my life, but now I feel more equipped than I ever.  I have hope and it feels good!

Here are some of the scripture from the message Sunday:
>Ephesians 6:11-12
>2 Corinthians 2:10-11
>1 Peter 5:8
>Luke 22:31-32
>Romans 8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM