no pressure, just be awesome!

As a future teacher (I'm studying Music Education), I am constantly reminded of what is proper dress and decorim for the classroom;  things like dress/skirt length, proximity with students, vocal inflections and pitch, and the list goes on.  Well, I've felt a lot of (self-inflicted) pressure to maintain this "persona of a missionary".  I thought of missionary women as long skirt wearing, loose bun wearing, living with Pigmies (in Central Africa), and bug eating women; and I was okay with all of that, because I have always wanted to be a missionary!  But this self-inflicted pressure to be as close to perfect is not healthy, and thankfully I've been delivered from that.  Since this internship is with a non-profit organization, I have to raise all of the money for this job, I do this by contacting a whole array of people.  Some of the people I know, and others I have never met before.  Impressions, whether they be first or not, are very important; so I have felt the need to talk a certain way at all times, and to dress a certain way at all times.  Yes, I am an ambassador of Christ so I should represent Him well; but, no, I shouldn't put on a facade of who I think others expect me to be.  I am reminded of the people God used and uses to do His work and it comforts me to see that they, in fact, are not perfect or even outstanding by worldly terms.  Everyone thought Noah was crazy and yet the Lord loved Him and used Him.  I will no longer try to live up to the assumed expection, because ultimately I answer to God; I want to live my life so that it's pleasing to the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM