Weekly Obsession, August 5, 2014

This week's obsession isn't anything new to you or me, but within the past few weeks I've become more interested in (read: obsessed with) it and have actually spent hours (seriously) on it in any given night.  YOUTUBE!!!  I've always used YouTube as more of a tool rather than for entertainment purposes, but times are a-changin'!  Here are the YouTube channels I'm subscribed to and why I like them.  In no particular order (actually, kinda alphabetical order).

This YouTuber has a variety of videos but most of them are just like a vlog.  She shares her thoughts on different subjects: love, family, friendship, singlehood, whatever.  She's very positive and has encouraged me to get in touch with my creative side.

I really enjoy BuzzFeed and can spend ample time on the site, but I haven't spent as much time on this channel as I would have thought.  It still is fun to check out some of the videos, I like random trivia.

This is one of my favorites.  Aside from her outstanding hair, she's funny and smart and inspiring.  I like her mix of thought provoking videos and lighthearted, funny ones.  She was already doing pretty well for herself, when she made a Shit White Girls Say...to Black Girls video, she blew up!

This is the above's hair channel.  She has dreads and has had them for around ten years.  She makes videos on how to do different updos with locs.  She's a huge reason why I've decided to grow my hair out and loc it.  Her tutorials show how versatile locs can be and go against the stigma of dreads being dirty and unkempt.  She's basically one of my hair idols.

This has actually been made into a movie and I am exceedingly excited about going to see it.  It started off as mock movie preview, but (many) people responded so positively to it, that the writer made it into an actual movie that'll be coming out this October in select theaters.  It's incredibly fantastic to see black people represented in an honest, positive light and in a movie about black people that isn't about slavery!  I'm crazy excited to see this movie.

She is the creator and writer and star of my favorite web-series to date, The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl.  Since that show, she's seen a lot of success including writing for some new television shows.  I also really want to be her friend.

I'm going to clump a few of these together.  This is an a Capella group who I have loved from the beginning.  Their arrangements are spectacular and their voices and vocal percussion are sensational.  Kevin Olusola is their vocal percussionist and he is a phenomenal musician who plays cello as well.  I like to pretend like I'm their friends when I watch their PTXVlogs.

This young woman is responsible for answering those burning question you might have, but don't have the gumption to actually ask.  She makes sex education videos on a variety of topics.  She a flaming feminist, which I love, and provides factual information sex/sexuality/relationships/feminism/LGBTQ/self-esteem.  Her channel is a really great resource.

I'll admit that I haven't spent much time on this channel, but I do follow her, Hannah Hart, on other social medias.  Her channel is about fun and food.

I've mentioned before how much I love this artist; his voice is perfection.  So I subscribe to his channel.  He just came out with a new music video and it emotes all the feels.

This is another YouTuber who I think I'd actually be great friends with.  Her comedy videos are always on point and she serves as a source for hairspiration for me.

This is another channel I haven't spent much time on, but I've only been following him for a couple days.  He's been in collaboration videos with other's I follow more intently, but I'm sure it's good stuff!

This is a new one for me as well, but I've already invested a lot of time on her channel.  I literally just notice a pattern with my subscriptions: mostly smart women.  She falls well into this category as she supports what she says with sited information.

This is one of the first, if not the first, YouTube channel I followed.  These are two guys from the above Pentatonix and they are just funny and talented and I want to be their best friend.  They are actually the inspiration for my Weekly Obsession blog idea!

I've looked at zero videos on her channel, but FranchescaLeigh told me to so I did.  I do love her style with clothes and hair and find her to be such a funny lady.  Also her mom is Diana Ross, so she's got diva running through her veins.

I've seen him on other channels I follow so I subscribed and it turns out he's funny all by himself too!  He's one of the YouTubers who's inspired me to get my creative juices flowing.

There you have it, my favorite YouTubers!  I spend hours watching and re-watching their videos, going deep into their channel archives.  I've been seriously thinking about and dreaming up a YouTube channel I do, and they are all my inspirations.

What are your favorite channels to follow on YouTube?  

Comments

  1. I've never been a big fan of YouTube. There have been a few educational or informational videos I've enjoyed, but I just rarely find entertainment in many of the things that others seem to enjoy on YouTube. I'm going to check out a few of these that you've listed. And, though I've never checked out their YouTube channel, I have enjoyed the "Stuff You Should Know" podcast in the past.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM