Young Adult

(Warning: this blog post may contain spoilers for the movie Young Adult)
A few weeks ago a friend and I watched the movie Young Adult.  The movie, starring Charlize Theron, is about a 37 year old young-adult novelist who visits her small hometown to get back her high school sweetheart; her high school sweetheart is married with a child, so he's not exactly eligible.  She ends up causing a huge scene at her crushes' baby naming celebration, with egg on her face.  She had this vision, this dream, of having this perfect life with her high school sweetheart she had gotten pregnant by about 17 years prior.  She tried seducing him, but it didn't work, and the more it didn't work the more desperate she got, the harder she worked.  She knew what she wanted, her ideal of a perfect life, and she went for it.  But, you know what, she didn't know what she was doing and by the end of the movie it was very clear she needed therapy.  She was a wreck, it was sad.  The point?  She didn't know what she was doing.

None of us do.  With every new situation/circumstance presented to us we're at a severe disadvantage, a learning curve.  Lately, I've been feeling the weight of not know what the hell I'm doing.  The truth is, I don't know how to be human, it's so hard.  On my Spring Break I got to spend time with a dear friend, we were talking about mistakes, how people you have faith in to do the right thing ('all the time') make mistakes.  It's hard being human, I realize this sounds 'self-pityish', it is.  One can know the book answers/solutions, learn from other's experiences, and use logic or common sense...but until you are confronted with the issue and have to deal with it, you don't really know.


But, one can try, that's the good news.  When we make mistakes, we're given sooo much grace and sooo many second chances.  It's kinda good and yet sucks because we are human and foolishly return to our vomit.  Instead of learning our lessons the first time, we end up returning to our mistakes in hopes of an improved outcome.  How silly of us.

It's a little discouraging for me at times.  I'd like to learn my lesson the first time and never have to revisit the issue again, but I don't.  But this is my first time being human and thankfully my last.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina