Beautiful Mind

It's no secret the devil uses lies and our pasts as a form of destruction.  Today I was walking my dog and stressing about everything, when memories of times I felt bad started projecting in my brain.  Times when I felt rejected, insignificant, hated, excluded, helpless, ugly, dumb...crummy.  As I was walking and nursing these old injuries, I realized these thoughts were not helping!  My very posture had changed, I was dragging my feet and looking at the ground.  I couldn't enjoy my walk because I was so distracted by my self-pity, and to a certain degree, self-loathing.  I stopped myself, I reclaimed my thoughts, my brain.

What God created as something to use for His glory, our minds, can easily be turned against us, against Him.  Our minds are powerful membranes; they can be used to destroy or create, for good or evil.  My mind is all too often a detriment to my persona; I let my thoughts get carried away and it typically never ends for the better.  We let the accuser tell us who we are, we let him say that we're not worth it, that we're purposeless, that we're filthy, that we're irreparable.  And we believe him because we think these thoughts come from ourselves; after all, these are our memories that keep being displayed as evidence of our invalidity, right?   All the memories that turn up have a valid point, right?  Wrong!

Everything and everyone tries to pin an identity, a label, on everyone else.  We adopt these labels and build a life around them.  But the truth is no one has the right to tell us who we are except the very Creator of ourselves.  God knows the answer to who we are and He doesn't keep it a secret.  If you believe that God sent His Son to live and die so that we could have a full and beautiful life...if you believe that, then you are his child.  When the Creator of the Universe claims you as His, suddenly the little, ugly labels from everyone and everything else seems superfluous and silly.

Unfortunately, our minds continue to listen to the labels the world pins on us.  But we don't have to listen to the world, we can continually extinguish these lies by claiming who we are.  We are sons and daughters of the most high God and it's important for us to remember that!

I am not at all a master of shedding the lies about who I am, but I am going to work at owning that I am His child and that nothing else matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM