if home is where the heart is...

At STINT Briefing we had what was called AOA, Area of Affairs (I think), and in those meetings we learned about the culture we would be STINTing in.  I, of course, was in Latin America.  During one of the times we met, we talked about the differences in the values of US culture and Latin American culture.  Of course not everyone in the USA or in Latin America are the same, but these are generalizations that somewhat outline values of each of these cultures.  So below are the list of comparable values of the USA and Latin America (USA on top and Latin America in bold):
1)Task Oriented: productivity
1) People Oriented: relationships
2) Time Oriented: scheduled
2) Event Orientation: here and now has full attention
3) American Dream: corporate ladder
3) Limited Resources: social status stays
4) Consumerism: trading for bigger and better
4) Conservation: use until can't use anymore
5) Efficiency and Convenience: save time and get more done
5) Tradition: done how they're always done
6) Future Orientation: goal oriented
6) Past & Present Orientation: tradition and live in the moment
7) Justice: everyone is entitled to rights
7) "It just is": not much can be done
8) Emotional Control: rationality
8) Emotional Expression: if you feel it, express it
9)Nuclear Family: mom, dad, siblings
9) Extended Family: grandparents, aunts, uncles
10) Privacy: independent (mine)
10) Sharing: no personal space, share everything

As we were learning these different values, I couldn't help but think how much mine align with those of Latin America; and they really always have.  Now I can see how having different values than mainstream culture has effected me as I grew up and interacted with US culture.  Even now, I can feel a sense of 'other' as I live here, where I'm from.  I love here (USA), but my heart often feels out of place here.  I feel like I belong in Latin America.  Now don't worry, this isn't me saying that I am never returning to the US once I leave, I'm just saying how nice it is to know where I feel like I truly belong.  I don't know where God will put me, but I know where I love to be.  Ultimately, I won't feel completely at home anywhere, I belong with the Lord and one day I will be basking in His presence. 

Comments

  1. This is such an interesting thing to consider - how our culture has shaped us in ways we don't even recognize and the fact that our hearts will never really be at home this side of eternity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina