Update 05/28/2014

Just another update if you're interested.

I just, perhaps 7 minutes ago, submitted an application to become a flight attendant for a mainline, non-legacy, airline.  Basically in the past week I decided that it'd be pretty neat to be a Flight Attendant so today marks the first day I actually started in on the process.  "But, Coléa, what happened to the whole 'moving to Chile' thing?' you may be asking: well I sent in my application packet two weeks ago today.  Two days after I sent my application in I received an email from the Chilean Consulate in DC saying that I don't qualify for the temporary residency visa I applied for.  The email was a generic rejection one so it didn't tell me why, only the kind of people that visa was for and that I could be a tourist in Chile for three months on my US passport.  I sent an email in response asking him what I need to do to qualify for said visa and explained that according to what he said in the generic rejection email I'm the exact type of person who this visa is meant for.  I haven't received a response from him yet, which doesn't make me feel too optimistic.  So despite searing disappointment and a bout of devastation I am choosing to move forward as if I am not either of those things and trying to seek employment elsewhere (live everything, right?), assuming 'the whole Chile thing' (plus some people who were all for it and even excited for my move didn't seem to care or be disappointed) really doesn't work out.  I was thinking of jobs that I thought I'd be good at that would allow me to travel (read: not be stuck in a cubicle under florescent lights) and becoming a flight attendant seems actually pretty cool. So wish me luck as I continue to apply everywhere that will let me.

The end of the school year is eight (school) days away and I am freaking excited.  It's a strange feeling knowing I'm not coming back to teaching after summer.  It's scary, but exciting.  There are lots of factors and soap-boxy reasons that I'm not returning to education (at least as a teacher) but here's an abbreviated version: tired of the US education bureaucracy, tired of NC politicians degrading educators, tired of my school administration, and tired of being broke every single month of the year.  At this point I want ONE job that I like, that pays all my bills, that provides insurance (and dental).  Please don't misunderstand my reasons for discontinuing my teaching career, it's not the kids.  It never was the kids, even the really terrible kids who I rejoice when they're not there.  Yesterday I was watching my kindergarten kids watch The Wiz and I just looked at their faces and reactions and dancing and couldn't help but feel adoration for them.  I love them sooo much, I'm almost in tears about it.  All my students are so, so special to me and even on our worst days when I don't have a hint of like towards them, I love them deeply.  I will miss the connection a teacher has with their students, and I will miss the onslaught of compliments I get from some no matter how crappy or average I look, and I will miss students coming to me with their lives and asking me to help them with it, and will miss seeing their faces light up when they see someone who looks like them being phenomenal because representation matters, and I will miss them trying to hug me even though they just came from outside are soo sweaty and gross, and I will miss their terrible jokes.  I will miss it all, I will miss them all.  Being a teacher is easily one of the most gratifying things I have ever done and I am grateful to have experienced meeting and shaping our world's future.

I got a haircut last week and I freaking love it.  It's the shortest it's ever been so there's literally nothing to doing with it but wear it.  


Sunday I went to my first Bikram Yoga class!  Bikram Yoga, or hot yoga, is like doing yoga in a sauna; the temperature in the studio gets up around 102 Fahrenheit.  I had been wanting to try this for years now, but something always stopped me; I found a Groupon for hot yoga classes down the street from where I'm now living and went for it.  I've been to two classes and have 18 more.  The first class was a breeze, but yesterday's class was a beast, upper body strength isn't my forte. If you're looking to push yourself hot yoga should be tried!

Last week I finished the book, Invisible Ellen, and my conclusion is that it's a feel good book.  The ending was tidy and mostly inconsequential and I finished not wanting more, but being completely satisfied with it.  Now I'm (barely) working on a new book by Ann Brashares, the author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, called The Here and Now.  I didn't realize this was a young adult book, so now I'm less thrilled about it, but the plot seems pretty good despite.  It's about a teenage girl sent from the future to live in the here and now (*wink*) but she must follow some rules to avoid problems...then she falls in love with a person from the present, which is against those rules.  Anyway, we'll see.

That's pretty much it.  I hope enjoyed.  You are loved and wonderful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina