Vegetables and Fruits I Wish I Liked

I'm a vegetarian, a lacto-ovo vegetarian (I eat dairy: eggs, milk, yogurt, etc) to be exact, and I love it more and more each day.  I have very strong feelings about being vegetarian including what types of (typically processed) foods I will and won't eat; this means I read the ingredients for EVERYTHING I eat.  I'm that vegetarian who asks details about how the food is cooked and what ingredients were used to prepare this food.  Do you cook the eggs on the same surface that you cook the bacon/sausage?  Is there meat stock in these mashed potatoes/this soup/this rice/this whatever?  Do you use the same utensils for your meats and non-meats?  Is there meat in the vegetable soup?  (That, by far, is the most infuriating question to ask, but I've learned that people will call it vegetable soup and will leave off the beef part; let's be clear, that is BEEF soup with vegetables.  Dummies.)  People have these stereotypes about vegetarians' likes and dislikes that don't apply to many, including me.  I find that a lot of people assume I like all vegetables since I'm a vegetarian, this couldn't be further from the truth.  Here's a list of veggies and fruits I wish I liked, all of them I've tried liking my whole life to no avail:

1) Mango.  They, like most others, just don't taste good to me.  They look delicious to me, so juicy and bright, but every time I have ever tried a mango (even fresh from the tree) I haven't liked it.



3) Zucchini.  These are used a lot in vegetarian things and I'll go through to casserole and pick'em out or just forego eating it all together.  The texture weirds me out and the taste just isn't okay.



4) Pineapple.  This just seems like a cool fruit to eat, but between the texture and the too sweet (and strange) taste, I just can't.  When I was in Costa Rica the hostel we stayed in provided breakfast of pancakes and fresh pineapple every morning and I would always abstain from the pineapple because it teased my gag reflex.



5) Eggplant.  This, for a while, seemed like a staple for the vegetarian option when at banquets/wedding receptions.  I would only ever eat the noodles from the eggplant parmasen.  I liken eggplant to zucchini, unacceptable texture and taste.



6) Coconut.  Again, what a cool fruit.  I actually use the oil on my hair and have a lotion that's made of (fair trade) coconut oil and coconut water.  I am pro-coconut until I have to eat it.  I get a similar feeling when I eat coconut as I do with pineapple.



7) Mushroom.  I debated whether or not to put this on this list because I'm on the fence about them.  I'm not comfortable with everyone just letting this fungus be called a vegetable, I don't think we should let that slide.  The fungus part creeps me out and the under part where the spores come out creep me out, they look like fish gills.  Gross.  Also, people are always like 'oh it doesn't taste like anything' to which I think 'then why have them if they're not contributing?'  Also, I do taste them and I don't like the texture or taste.  But I would like to be open-minded about mushrooms, because they seem harmless and lonely as the only fungus eaten purposefully.



8) Orange. I don't completely dislike oranges, but I certainly don't like eating them, I'd much rather drink them.  It's the texture mostly.  Also, they seem like a dumb, over-glorified fruit.



9) Pumpkin.  The only reason I want to like it is because it opens up my food choices during Fall.  Because people, every Autumn, rediscover pumpkin and then EVERYTHING has it.  I really wish everyone would just calm the heck down and stop worshiping this dumb squash.  I don't like the looks of pumpkin, the smell makes me gag, and the taste is an assault to my mouth.  It's really overrated and it's one of the reasons I don't like Fall.



10) Plantain.  Gosh, I try so hard to like them, but they are not good to me unless they're in chip form with lime.  I've tried them cooked to be savory, I've tried them with sugar and cinnamon and every time I don't like them.  Plantains are a part of the typical Costa Rican meal and I tried them every time and every time I gave'em away.



What fruits and veggies do you with you liked?

Comments

  1. I like far more veggies than fruits. The only fruits that I will go out of my way to eat are apples, bananas, and grapes. And I really don't care for berries. The 2 veggies that are troublesome not to like are cucumbers and broccoli. I don't mind the taste of cucumbers, but I always feel yucky after I eat them. So, I just try to avoid them. And I have texture issues with broccoli, which stinks because it's often the only veggie available at restaurants and it's really good for you. I'm trying to learn to like it (or at least tolerate it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't know how we're friends. ;-) I love just about every single one of these. hahaha. I'll need to keep all this in mind if you'll be coming over for dinner... I thought I had your food preferences down, but I see I'll need a refresher course. haha. Love and miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM