Ain't Nobody Got Time fo Dat: Why I'm Not Waiting

I read this today from a friend's tweet, I didn't like it.  I've grown up with this 'waiting' talked about and preached to me and I've decided to disagree deeply with it.  The post I read today was about how (Christian women are) to wait for their husbands, like what they should be doing in the meantime and why, as well as what to wait for.  While I agree that one should not just be sitting stagnant, twiddling their thumbs as they sit pretty waiting for their 'Prince Charming', I don't like the idea, the sound, of waiting.  There are better things to do.

To me, waiting means there's a preoccupation from the present task, life, at hand.  Yes, the Productive Waiting Model (I just made that up) encourages the waiters to further themselves in their spiritual life and to make sure they have some type of concept of the man they're to marry one day, but that still doesn't feel right to me.  When I'm in the waiting room at the mechanic, I bring a book to read and keep me company, but the book (which would be my productivity) isn't why I'm there, it's not the main reason I'm sitting in that waiting room.  I'm putting things on hold, other great stuff I could be doing, but killing my time waiting by bringing a book-friend to distract.  When intentionally waiting for a mate, everything else seems like a distraction from the main objective, gettin' yoself a man!

I know I'm different from a lot of people; I didn't dream of marriage and kids and picket fences and domesticity, I dreamed of traveling the world, living among the marginalized to improve life for all.  I assumed that I would get married (and then divorced), because I thought that was simply what all adults did.  Like a requirement or a rite of passage.  So perhaps that Productive Waiting Model (Patent Pending) isn't made for people like me; my existence isn't dependent upon whether or not I get married.  My life dreams have nothing to do with a man/husband, but he's more than welcome to come along for the ride, that is if he exists.

So NO, I will not wait for the man of my dreams.  And I will not dream of the man of my dreams.  I will live my life to the best of my ability and not hold off on the good stuff until 'I have someone special to share it with.'  If a man comes into my life, sure let's do the damn thing, but I will not sit around waiting for him to get here, ain't nobody got time fo dat.  Life is too good to sit in a musky waiting room.

 (I just think this one is hilarious)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM