Footprint

Lately, I've been feeling like what I do, teach general elementary music, doesn't matter.  It's not that I don't think music, Art, doesn't matter, and it's not that I don't think education doesn't matter.  I am a strong believer that music education does good for everyone...but I'm, somehow, not feeling like what I'm doing is really contributing well to the world.  That's a problem because all I've ever wanted to do is have a positive footprint on this world (so vague).  Last Sunday I was out to lunch with a couple friends and I asked them if they ever feel like what they do doesn't matter?  Like it's superfluous, maybe selfish.  They both said yes and that if I'm feeling that way at a job that I do find to be important, then I'm probably not at the right job.  Then she said something that her roommate had told her: make a list of the things I love and that are important to me, then find a job that incorporates that list.  So here's my list.  Here's my list of things that I'm passionate about, things that are important to me, things that I love. (in no particular order)

1) Art.  Hopefully you saw that one coming.  Art (music/visual art/dance/etc) has never not been a part humanity.  Art is essential to being human.  The different forms Art takes both intrigues me and inspires me; and I want everyone to let their inner artist out.

2) Animals.  The more I don't eat them, the more I love them.  They are excellent and bring such joy to this world.  I believe people should treat animals with more respect and dignity not only by not eating them, but by caring for them as cohabitants of this Earth, not just as a means to make money.



3) Hurting People.  Young and old, male and female, people are hurting.  This is such a broad list of people.  The brokenness of the world effects everyone, but some it hits extra hard, it seems.  I wish I could just fix everyone's problems, but I unfortunately feel completely paralyzed most of the time.  I want everyone to feel loved and known.

4) Stewardship.  I believe in being a good steward of everything given to me: body, mind, spirit, possessions, other living creatures, everything's been given to us.  There are some things I'm a struggling steward of and some things I don't even give a second glance or consideration of, but for the most part I try to be mindful of most things.  A behavior I see a lot of in the USA is wastefulness or maltreatment of our things and people that make up our life, major or minor roles.  I would love to see more conservation and consideration of our natural resources.  Or even small things on the home front like buying food and preparing it, then eating out so much the prepared food goes to waste; that's wasteful of both the food and the money.

5) Education.  Education has always been a prominent part of my life.  Having aunts, uncles, and grandparents that play(ed) some type of role in the education system, has education in the forefront of my mind my whole life.  I've always loved school, except in 11th grade, and have always wanted to be in an educational environment.  I believe that education elevates and changes both the educators and the pupils.


6) Social Justice.  I would love to live in a society in which everyone is treated with love and respect. It's not always easy, but I believe it's important to treat someone with respect not because they've done anything to earn it, but because they are humans just like all of us.  I'd love to have everything equitable, no one needing anything (food, clothes, shelter) because the Haves willingly, without soliciting, step up and provide for their fellow humans.

Well, that's my list.  The above are things that I am really passionate about.  The things that make me get my soapbox out.  Perhaps I could hone in on somethings, but I don't want to exclude.  So now I need help.  What are some occupations that somehow incorporate all of the above.  I want my time on this Earth to matter, not so I can make a big name for myself, some flashy legacy, but so people's lives/animals' lives/Earth's life get better.  Help me out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM