NASCAR...I.hate.it.

I live close to the Speedway, like I-can-see-and-hear-it-from-my-house close.  I, in no shape or form, like NASCAR.  I literally think it's one of the dumbest things ever created by humans, ever.  Today, I was driving home from getting my oil changed and tires rotated and I take my normal exit, this exit happens to also be the exit you'd take to get to the Speedway, when upon exiting I realize that all the traffic lights are blinking.  No, there were no police officers directing traffic, people were just going on their own accord, all willy-nilly.  I saw several people dodge collisions with other cars driving with no regard for others on the boulevard; I saw people getting irate and honking because they had been waiting for several minutes.  But most of all, and worst of all, I saw police officers weaving through traffic (with their lights on), parking in the medians and NOT GETTING OUT OF THEIR CARS TO DIRECT THE UNMANNED INTERSECTIONS.  WHAT.THE.HELL?  I.HATE.NASCAR.  And this is just scratching the surface as to why.

1) Gas.  People are always complaining, and rightfully so, about how expensive gas is.  But then there are race car drivers who literally use up gas by driving in circles.  What?  Are you serious?

2) History. NASCAR credits it's origin to the Prohibition.  While the Prohibition wasn't a great time in history, the fact that a "sport" started from illegal means is unacceptable.  The government said 'no' to alcohol, that's not alright; so let's trick-out our vehicles to outrun the law enforcement, not the proper response; now let's make this whole racing thing into a big deal, where did decency go?

3) Sport.  Why is this considered a sport?  It doesn't take any athleticism on the drivers behalf, they just have to be able to fit into the window, see, steer, and withstand extreme temperatures.  Most people can do that.

4) Hazardous Speculation.  I am squeamish when I watch football, because these guys are getting hit by other giants all for a ball; but when I'm watching NASCAR (which I try to make sure is never), I'm downright sick to my stomach.  It is so dangerous.  It's not like football, rugby, or lacrosse in which all you have is your body and a stick to cause others bodily harm for sport, no!, in NASCAR you have an entire car!  People have died from this so called sport.  No sport is worth that.  On top of that, people watch this event, on purpose with pleasure.  It all seems twisted to me.

5) People.  I know wonderful people who enjoy watching racing, but those aren't the people I end up dealing with during racing seasons.  Earlier this year, May, when a race was finished and people were leaving, people came in my neighborhood (it was around 11-12 at night), driving recklessly, honking, and yelling out their windows.  I guess their favorite guy had won and they wanted to alert the locals, as if we cared.  This time of year brings in a lot of tourists, they're coming in for the races and they don't know (or choose to use) the proper decorum for this city.  They drive like maniacs who have no clue where they're going no matter how many signs are up; they walk drunk in the streets; and they, all around, lower the standard of living for the residence of this and surrounding cities.  If you are a NASCAR fan, don't make of a fool of yourself, stay classy.


I dislike NASCAR.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

My calling to and vision for Argentina