random stuff i'm excited about: spanish

Ever since Kindergarten, I have loved Spanish.  It's a beautiful language that's attached to a beautiful culture with a rich history.  In elementary school we had a resident Spanish teacher, Señora Maria, who would come to our class and teach us basic Spanish, like: good morning/afternoon, hello, how are you?, colors, and other stuff.  I always looked forward to her visits, but halfway through elementary school, she was no longer 'allowed' to teach us Spanish, but she was still at our school; so what she would do was come under the guise of giving our teacher a break and when the teacher was gone (she knew what was going on) she would give us a brief lesson on Spanish.  So it was early that I developed a love for Spanish, and this love led me to study it on my own and to take classes, and at one point try to minor in it.  There are many memories of my childhood that point to my love for Spanish and the people of Latin America; looking back now I realize that it was God preparing me for Costa Rica and Argentina and beyond.  All that to say that I am excited about speaking Spanish in Argentina, I am excited about hearing it and learning it.  A lot of people ask me whether or not I'm fluent and the answer is NO!  I will be taking Spanish class(es) in Argentina to learn the dialect of Spanish which is called Castellano (kast-e-shano).  This Spanish dialect and accent is very different from others in Latin America and I look forward to learning it.  I have been studying Spanish for a long time, but there's nothing like learning by immersion and that's exactly the experience of STINT; I was talking to some teammates who are already down there, and they say that we get thrown straight into ministry and meetings that are, of course, all in Spanish!  They said that it's really taught them to depend on the Lord for even their communication skills.  So...I'm so excited about the language aspect of STINT; I used to always say that I wanted to learn the language of the people so I may minister to there very hearts.
Chau!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM