Weekly Obsession, July 29, 2014

Hey y'all so it's actually been two weeks since my last blog entry, I was out of town last Tuesday and didn't have my computer.  Anyway this week's obsession is CAKE!!!  I love it and literally crave it   at least five days of the week.  This past week I have had some great cakes and I want to tell you the simple story behind each slice(s).

Last week I went to Greensboro to visit some friends.  On Tuesday evening I went out to eat at this amazing Indian restaurant with a friend who treated me to dinner and dessert.  After dinner she took me to this cake boutique, Maxie B's, and her and I got her favorite cake.  The Brownstone Front Cake.  It's light chocolate cake with caramel icing and a hint of brown sugar and it is exquisite.  I couldn't believe I had lived in Greensboro for five years and had never even heard of this place!  But now I know and now I will likely go anytime I visit Greensboro.

(pic from their website)

Last Wednesday I spent a little (not nearly enough) time with a friend who lives in Winston Salem; he's a music teacher, but works other jobs one of which includes part time work at a Moravian bakery.  There is lots of Moravian stuff in Winston Salem.  Anyway, a few nights before I had told my roommate about how my friend worked at a Moravian bakery in Winston and she froze and asked if it was Dewey's Bakery, which apparently is kinda famous (oops, didn't know) and started gushing about their Moravian Sugar Cake.  My friend and I went to his job, Dewey's, and he treated me to six squares of Pink Lemonade Cake and some of that Sugar Cake!  I had never had pink lemonade cake and had been wondering what all the hype was about, but I totally get it now!  It's hard to describe other than saying it's like pink lemonade in cake form (duh), but not as sour.  The cake was a perfect punctuation for the next couple of nights of coming home from a long day of work.

(it's the one on top!)

My final cake story of the week is from Sunday night.  I was home from work and was literally daydreaming about cake.  I really wanted cake and was trying to figure out how I was going to satisfy that craving without having to leave my house, when my roommate walks in the door with a plastic container in her hand and big smile on her face.  She had been at her sister-in-law's birthday celebration and her sister-in-law had made her own birthday cake from scratch.  My roommate had brought me home a hefty slice: three layer chocolate pound cake, with raspberry filling, chocolate ganache, and butter cream icing!!!  Y'all, that cake was so damn sweet, I got about five little bites in and I couldn't handle anymore.  I was so excited that my cake dreams had come true I nearly cried.  That's just how much I love cake.


Comments

  1. Pink lemonade cake is delicious - both the one from Dewey's and Maxie B's version!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

If I Was a Rich Girl

Good Hair

MM